This Sunday we continue our “marital remodel” project using God’s Word and transparency to make it happen! Sex and sexuality are GOD’S idea. The only thing we have contributed is sin, confusion, and some serious misuse of the Original Manufacturer’s design.
Most manufacturers past a “disclaimer” that releases them from all liability whenever a consumer misuses, abuses, or redirects their products in ways never intended by the original designer or maker. You see God’s incredible wisdom reflected in the original reaction of Adam when he first met Eve, who was made with a “Second Touch” from the Master Designer’s hands. The Bible says in Genesis 2:25, “The two of them, the Man and his Wife, were naked, but they felt no shame” (Message Bible). Shame has NO PLACE in our covenant marriage love relationships–if it does, then it has to go!
This is the way men and women should live together in marriage. However, it never “just happens” accidentally. Adam and Eve fell into sin, and we’ve inherited their mess and added to it. Through the loving sacrifice of Jesus Christ, God’s Son, we get to start over again as reborn children of God. That “start over” applies to our marriages too!
Last week, Pastor Juliana (my wife and co-pastor) and I ended our initial message in this series with some questions taken from the book, Sexperiment: 7 Days of Lasting Intimacy with Your Spouse, by Ed and Lisa Young:*
1) “How hard are you willing to work to save your marriage, or even to have a better marriage?”
2) “What would you do to regain the spark of desire and intimacy you once had?”
3) What if you put the same level of energy and effort [that you put into your job] and put it into your marriage?
On Sunday, Juliana and I wade into the deep end with laughter, honesty, and some serious reconstruction of our skewed thinking about intimacy, married happiness, and undoing the damage already done in our marriages and personal relationships.
All week long, we’ve also been thinking about the folks who aren’t married–about really good people who are flummoxed and wondering why they should even come to church or watch these videos while we are talking about sex and marriage. [You know who you are--you may be single, divorced, widowed, embarrassed, or so entangled in a painful marriage that the last thing you want to hear about is sex or a happy marriage!]
Honestly, our hearts break for the difficulties you face, but this series is REALLY for you too! As Ed and Lisa Young shared recently in one of their video presentations based on Sexperiment, God is always preparing us for the “next phase” of our lives.
- If you are 12 or 45, and still looking for Mr. or Ms. “Right,” then this series is for you!
- If you are divorced or in the middle on a painful separation, this series is for you!
- If you have recently lost your mate or if it seems like yesterday, this series will remind you of the best that you had and give you hope for the future. At the very minimum, it will recharge your compassion to give wise counsel and support to all of the folks around you who could us a steadying handy and an encouraging word from someone who has been there!
We launched this series because we are convinced that solid, joyful, loving, and life-giving Christ-centered marriages produce a powerful, life-giving, and loving church life that glorifies the Lord!
Join us at The River this Sunday at 10:30, or watch us live on-line for “the rest of the story.” I can safely promise you one thing for sure–whatever happens (and we honestly don’t know for sure, because there is no way Juliana and I can really “script” something like this), it probably will not be boring!
PS–If you have questions, then be sure to e-mail them to us at this site. We will do our best to incorporate the best questions (and answers from God’s Word) in the series. We want you to be equipped for success God’s way.
*Ed and Lisa Young, Sexperiment: 7 Days of Lasting Intimacy with Your Spouse (Nashville: FaithWords, a division of Hachette Book Group, 2012), p. 16.